Skip to main content

Munch N' Madurai: Restaurant Review

It's been a while since I've had South Indian (yes, that is a bit of a broad generalisation) food and I'm not very familiar with it either, so I decided to try Munch N' Madurai out last week. Located in Ngara, at Mellow Heights, I first came across it when I signed on a new client in the same building.

I passed by to pick up a menu, and was pleasantly surprised to find out that Munch N' Madurai served non-vegetarian food (and Punjabi food too). I know it sounds weird, but I've never been to a South Indian restaurant that serves non-veg before. Since I knew I'd be frequenting the building two to three times a week, I planned to go on a specific day last week, and my cousin (of News Cafe review fame) came with me. We went to the restaurant at 2:30, and being a weekday, it was relatively empty.

The ambiance of Munch N' Madurai is very low key- think booths and a cafeish vibe.

Now, I'm really not a lassi person (which is weird, I know, being Punjabi and all), but that really doesn't extend to mango lassi, which I love. So yes, before embarking on a Madurai adventure, I had some good old Punjabi mango lassi- and it was really good!

(No picture, sorry! Forgot my DSLR and also somehow didn't take as many as I usually do on my phone.)

I don't always tell a restaurant when I'm doing a review there- it depends on what sort of experience I'm expecting. However, this time, the owner was in, and seeing as how I'm completely new to non-vegetarian food of this cuisine, I needed some recommendations. In hindsight (20/20 right?), I should've also asked her to explain the background of the dishes and a little more about the cuisine. Oh well, next time!

For starters, she recommended the Poricha Meen Fillet. I'm not sure what type of fish the fillet was- perhaps tilapia? I liked the flavour of the fish, but it was a little dry, having been overcooked. It had a nice amount of spice, and I would try this again. Extra tasty with some lemon on top!

Poricha Meen Fillet
For the main meal, I ordered the Chettinadu Pepper Chicken with punjabi phulkas, and my cousin ordered the Koli Chukka Varuval (chicken) with tandoori rotis. Both the chickens were gravy style and boneless.

Another first for me- I love the flavour of pepper and have had pepper flavoured dishes many times, but never an Indian curry. I was very pleased with my pepper chicken- it was well flavoured and soft, with a strong pepper flavour that managed not to overpower the rest. Some restaurants are very happy to add lots of oil/ghee, which this dish didn't have, thank goodness! The phulkas were soft and a nice accompaniment to the dish. I forget what the leaves used are called (limri maybe), but I've experienced dished that have them, and they can't be eaten but need to be filtered out. The ones in this chicken were cooked to just the right amount, so they could be eaten. Warning: If you can't tolerate spice, don't order this! 

Chettinadu Pepper Chicken
My cousin's dish, the koli chukka varuval, was nice too. A little milder than the pepper chicken, the predominant flavour for this one was tomato- but in a nice, spicy way, rather than an overpowering the dish, acidic way. While the tandoori roti's taste was good, it was a little odd and non-tandoori roti-ish.

Koli Chukka Varuval


The only thing I had a slight complaint about was the service. While the owner did give us recommendations and then ask how everything was after we were done, our waiter neglected to check on us during the meal. Also, I don't know how great a job he did of cleaning our table after its previous occupants left, as there were flies buzzing around, and I finally had to call him over to ask for a candle. 

However, the food was more than worth it, and I'm looking forward to try what else they have on their menu. 

What did you think of this review? Reach out to me on Facebook or Twitter and let me know! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winding Down: A Family Vacation

First of all, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone! Apologies for silence this month; but also, THANK YOU! Thank you to all of you for being such a great audience this year. My readership in 2015 has been the highest ever- especially so in December, which is crazy because I've only published one post this month so far! So thank you, for reading, and keeping up with the Kenyan Nomad, and all the wonderful feedback you've given me this year. As we count down to my favourite holiday of the year, I wanted to share some snippets from my recent family vacation. My parents and I headed to the Rift Valley from the 20th to the 24th, and I decided to completely unplug! My phone was on airplane mode most of the time, I absolutely didn't check my messages, emails or Facebook at all, and I got to spend some time actually reading! I didn't manage to fit in as much as I would've liked, but I did read 'The Pilgrimage' by Paulo Coelho and 'Social Intelligence'...

Meet Jean Wandimi

Those of you who're active in the food and wine culture around Nairobi have most probably heard of Jean Wandimi, blogger at  www.thewineandfoodreview.com  Being a lover of wine and food myself, I asked if I could interview her. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Jean Wandimi! Tell us a little bit about yourself and your background. I'm a finance graduate who happened to fall in love with food and wine. I started journalling my experiences in a blog for fun. After some time, I got serious with the blog and have been doing it for 2 years. What made you get interested in wine? I have always loved wine but I didn't get to try it earlier. I was curious. I find it fascinating how a bottle can have so much history. When I got to campus, I started teaching myself how to pronounce the wines, grape varieties, tastings etc When and why did you decide to start blogging? I opted to start an online journal of my experiences in November 2013. I could have easily written them in a book but I wante...

Fashion, Food and Furniture: A Night with Panesar Kenya

Pic by Catherine Muchira  Now, part of being a nomad does involve socialising, although this probably hasn't been all too evident in my recent posts! The evening of Thursday, the 5th of November found me attending an invite-only event entitled 'Fashion, Food & Furniture' at the Rouge Deck , hosted by Panesar Interiors . I was allowed a plus one, and decided to make my best friend tag along with me. I must admit, when I first received the invite, I was a little curious to see how the 3 themes were meant to fit together, but everything flowed seamlessly on the day of the event! I must admit, I was quite impressed. The Fashion Pic by Official Photographer The clothes on display were designed and created by Njema Helena , a company that was formed by a mother and daughters team in honour of their late daughter and sister, who passed away from cancer a few years ago. The designs were absolutely beautiful, and I loved the modern take on traditional African prints. There were ...