Skip to main content

What Does Ramadhan Mean to Me?

Another guest post by my good friend, Aniqah Khalid, of Maisha, about what Ramadhan means to her. This month of fasting for Muslims around the world has just started, and I know that many of us non-Muslims have questions about what this month actually means to them. Enjoy!

This is an extremely complex question to answer in a long point form manner. How I can answer this, however, is in a more metaphorical way.

Ramadhan is coming home after a long hard day. Coming home, kicking off your shoes, finding solace in familiarity and comfort in its security.
Ramadhan is that strong pain killer for when your body aches that you cannot sleep at night, you cannot eat and you simply cannot think.
Ramadhan is that small open window in a hot and stuffy room.
Ramadhan is that drop of water that can save the thirsty beggar.
Ramadhan is what many pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on therapy for.
Ramadhan is the light feeling after being forgiven and after forgiving.
Ramadhan is fuelling the car after it has broken down.
Ramadhan is that calm, tranquil feeling of peace after one has cried away their sorrows.
Ramadhan is that magical feeling when you are loved and when you love.
Ramadhan is faith and hope in a better you; in a better tomorrow.

To me Ramadhan acts as a new year- New resolutions, fresh starts, a new me and a positive approach.
To me Ramadhan acts as therapy where my only therapist is Allah and I have a direct communication with him, no interruptions.
To me Ramadhan is a test of my character; a test that molds me into the perfect depiction of myself I can possibly be. It tests me in order to prove my strength and reminds me of the faith I carry within my heart that I may doubt.
To me Ramadhan is a chance for all of us; the alcoholics, the thieves, the bigots, the jealous and all the evil within. There is hope for us all to come back to divinity and righteousness.
To me Ramadhan is a clear sign that Allah indeed loves me for He made this month especially for me to gain closeness to Him. It is as if a teacher has rigged an exam in your favour or slipped you an answer before an exam. I am so lucky, as are you. There is no clearer proof of the love that gravitates us from above. Without that love, we would be lifeless souls wandering earth aimlessly.
To me Ramadhan is perspective. What is important in life, what is expected of me and the things that matter in the bigger picture.
To me Ramadhan is a cure for all illnesses of the mind heart and body.

�Ramdhan is like a rare flower that blossoms once a year and just as you begin to smell its fragrance It disappears for another year. Make the most of it now while you still have a chance for the harvesting season is here and it won't last.�

-Anonymous

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five years of The Kenyan Nomad: Looking back

How time does fly! I can't believe that my little blog is five - what a journey it has been! I thought it would be fun to look back on a few posts I've done over the years. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My first post  was an attempt to restart a blog that I had started writing four years ago - back then, it was more of an extended, and public mailing list. This was a week after I turned 20, and I think the 'new decade' brought me some inspiration to write that I'm still going on! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A few months later, I shared some pictures from a trip to the Masai Mara. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- During the spring semester that year, I did a few posts from a series I had posted

Restaurant Review: Christmas at the Arbor

Happy holidays, everyone! As I write this, I'm sitting in the U.S., having travelled here to spend time with family (and see friends if I get lucky). Saturday the 17th of December, however, found me in a food coma after a delicious Christmas meal with Darshani (of Cupcakes to Curry) at the Arbor in Lavington, Nairobi. The Arbor has a very laid-back, chic outdoor ambiance, well-suited to Saturday brunch or a dinner out with friends. Darshani and I were there to do a review for a podcast, and thus ended up having a multi-course meal at 10 am on a Saturday morning (accompanied by various cocktails, of course, much to the envy of the other diners)! The weather was perfect December weather - warm and sunny, forbidding any sort of indoor seating at all. For my non-Southern hemisphere readers, you'll just have to visit Kenya to know what I mean when I say 'perfect December weather' and 'warm' in the same sentence. It was started about two years ago by Shamini, original

The Mayura: Restaurant Review

Happy new year, everyone! It's been a while, so I thought to break tradition and post on a Tuesday this time - I'm sure you're in need of new restaurant recommendations, right? Located in Kenrail towers, the Mayura  is an Indian restaurant that you may not have been to yet. I'd heard about it, but never been, so when I was invited to do a review, I naturally jumped at the chance. Located in Kenrail Towers, the ambience of the Mayura has peacock-themed, warm interiors. There's a lot of space to sit down, both inside and outside. The restaurant is the brainchild of Rajiv Segal, who has a corporate background and being from Delhi, had a high standard of quality and had developed a distinctive palate, which he wanted to bring to the people in Nairobi. The menu was chosen for us by Rajiv (and boy, did we eat a lot!). For starters, we had some paneer tikka, mutton chops, fish amritsari and banu kebab (chicken). The paneer tikka was absolutely amazing! The paneer was fresh