Skip to main content

About Thyme: Restaurant Review


Having recently moved to Kenya, I've been eager to connect with other bloggers in the area. Unfortunately the only one I knew is the talented Aniqah Khalid of Maisha, but I was lucky enough to get to meet Jean Wandimi of The Wine and Food Review last week. We arranged to meet at About Thyme, on Eldama Ravine. I hadn't been for years and years, and was curious to see what I would find. However, the experience was absolutely fantastic!



I absolutely love the cozy ambience that About Thyme has created, and actually think it would be an absolutely fantastic place for writers to work and stay inspired (hint: don't be surprised to find me typing here)!




The service was fast, friendly and efficient. Our server was knowledgeable and willing to help. Despite it being only a Tuesday afternoon, there was a steady stream of people coming in, which I think in itself speaks volumes. The manager/owner (I should have probably clarified which) kept checking in on us and other guests, and was actively engaged in what was going on around her.

Since I was still suffering from a cold at that point, we chose to sit inside. I didn't order any wine for the same reason, and went for a cup of soothing green tea. However, I was pleased at the extensive range of wines, cocktails and other alcoholic beverages that they serve, and do intend to return to try the same!


Luckily for us, the menu was extensive and didn't just feature the 'usual' stuff. They had a quick lunch offer, which consisted of tea or coffee, a main meal, and a dessert at an affordable price. Jean chose this, and ordered the English fish and chips. I chose from the main menu, and actually ordered based upon the (great) recommendation from our server. I went for the pumpkin and amaretti tortellini. 


It was ABSOLUTELY amazing! The flavours blended together very well and almost exploded in my mouth (pardon the cliche), the presentation was excellent, and the food was served at a good temperature. On top of that, I was served a very hearty portion and so had enough for leftovers later! I don't usually order tortellini at restaurants, but have changed my mind after this experience. 

While I didn't have much room for dessert, Jean's dish came with a dessert, so I tried some of the fruit off of her fruit platter. 


However, I definitely do want to return to try the drinks as mentioned above, and the desserts (if you're not convinced, check out some of the pictures below). Looking for a great place to eat at affordable prices and with a fantastic ambience? Do check out About Thyme! 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five years of The Kenyan Nomad: Looking back

How time does fly! I can't believe that my little blog is five - what a journey it has been! I thought it would be fun to look back on a few posts I've done over the years. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My first post  was an attempt to restart a blog that I had started writing four years ago - back then, it was more of an extended, and public mailing list. This was a week after I turned 20, and I think the 'new decade' brought me some inspiration to write that I'm still going on! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A few months later, I shared some pictures from a trip to the Masai Mara. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- During the spring semester that year, I did a few posts from a series I had posted

Restaurant Review: Christmas at the Arbor

Happy holidays, everyone! As I write this, I'm sitting in the U.S., having travelled here to spend time with family (and see friends if I get lucky). Saturday the 17th of December, however, found me in a food coma after a delicious Christmas meal with Darshani (of Cupcakes to Curry) at the Arbor in Lavington, Nairobi. The Arbor has a very laid-back, chic outdoor ambiance, well-suited to Saturday brunch or a dinner out with friends. Darshani and I were there to do a review for a podcast, and thus ended up having a multi-course meal at 10 am on a Saturday morning (accompanied by various cocktails, of course, much to the envy of the other diners)! The weather was perfect December weather - warm and sunny, forbidding any sort of indoor seating at all. For my non-Southern hemisphere readers, you'll just have to visit Kenya to know what I mean when I say 'perfect December weather' and 'warm' in the same sentence. It was started about two years ago by Shamini, original

The Mayura: Restaurant Review

Happy new year, everyone! It's been a while, so I thought to break tradition and post on a Tuesday this time - I'm sure you're in need of new restaurant recommendations, right? Located in Kenrail towers, the Mayura  is an Indian restaurant that you may not have been to yet. I'd heard about it, but never been, so when I was invited to do a review, I naturally jumped at the chance. Located in Kenrail Towers, the ambience of the Mayura has peacock-themed, warm interiors. There's a lot of space to sit down, both inside and outside. The restaurant is the brainchild of Rajiv Segal, who has a corporate background and being from Delhi, had a high standard of quality and had developed a distinctive palate, which he wanted to bring to the people in Nairobi. The menu was chosen for us by Rajiv (and boy, did we eat a lot!). For starters, we had some paneer tikka, mutton chops, fish amritsari and banu kebab (chicken). The paneer tikka was absolutely amazing! The paneer was fresh