Skip to main content

Tandoori Patio: Restaurant Review

A warm Sunday afternoon (as has been increasingly the case in Nairobi recently), so it made sense that the family and I wanted a lunch spot that was open and somewhat outdoorsy (as outdoorsy as can be in Westlands, that is). We'd been to the Tandoori Patio a few times before (one was a surprise party for my 24th birthday), and decided that it was worth a repeat visit.

The ambience at the Tandoori Patio is skillfully designed in a way to almost (almost) make one forget that you're sitting in the middle of Westlands.

Warm Sunday = perfect opportunity for a chilled beer, so I decided to get a Tusker Malt. Now, I will NEVER understand why servers in this country ask if you want your beer cold or not. Is there really any other way to drink beer?! I confirmed that, yes, I wanted it as cold as could be, borderline freezing if you will.



Look at how beautiful it was!! And iPhone users, I'd like you to appreciate that this was a live photo, which means that I get to see this with the glory of bubbles rising gently to the surface whenever I want.

To start off, we decided to get the Rajasthani bhindi (Rajasthan is a region in India, bhindi= okra), and the hara bhara kebabs. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the biggest bhindi fan in the world (yes yes, tone it down with the gasps), but I actually really liked this! It was like beautifully fried bhindi chips - and the batter was heavenly! My 90 year old grandfather, however, thought this was 'weird'.

I was so enamoured that I kind of forgot to take notes about - or pictures of - the hara bhara kebabs.


For the mains, we decided to get the chicken tikka masala (surprise!), the tawa fish masala, and the tawa mushrooms with a selection of naans. 

Everything was AMAZING. Seriously. I'm practically salivating as I write this. The chicken was fresh, light and not too creamy. The fish was also fresh and perfectly marinated. The mushrooms were creamy, with lovely flavours of garlic and methi coming through. The naans were soft and light. The only complaint that I'd have is that the food was relatively mild, despite us having asked for it to be as hot as they could make it. 




Haven't yet been? Do give it a try, and let me know what you think!

Enjoyed this post? Please feel free to like, comment and share!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winding Down: A Family Vacation

First of all, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone! Apologies for silence this month; but also, THANK YOU! Thank you to all of you for being such a great audience this year. My readership in 2015 has been the highest ever- especially so in December, which is crazy because I've only published one post this month so far! So thank you, for reading, and keeping up with the Kenyan Nomad, and all the wonderful feedback you've given me this year. As we count down to my favourite holiday of the year, I wanted to share some snippets from my recent family vacation. My parents and I headed to the Rift Valley from the 20th to the 24th, and I decided to completely unplug! My phone was on airplane mode most of the time, I absolutely didn't check my messages, emails or Facebook at all, and I got to spend some time actually reading! I didn't manage to fit in as much as I would've liked, but I did read 'The Pilgrimage' by Paulo Coelho and 'Social Intelligence'...

Fashion, Food and Furniture: A Night with Panesar Kenya

Pic by Catherine Muchira  Now, part of being a nomad does involve socialising, although this probably hasn't been all too evident in my recent posts! The evening of Thursday, the 5th of November found me attending an invite-only event entitled 'Fashion, Food & Furniture' at the Rouge Deck , hosted by Panesar Interiors . I was allowed a plus one, and decided to make my best friend tag along with me. I must admit, when I first received the invite, I was a little curious to see how the 3 themes were meant to fit together, but everything flowed seamlessly on the day of the event! I must admit, I was quite impressed. The Fashion Pic by Official Photographer The clothes on display were designed and created by Njema Helena , a company that was formed by a mother and daughters team in honour of their late daughter and sister, who passed away from cancer a few years ago. The designs were absolutely beautiful, and I loved the modern take on traditional African prints. There were ...

Me First

As a woman who lives in an urban society in the 21st century, I am constantly being bombarded by messages from media and advertising and even the people around me. Many of these messages encourage me to look better, be healthier, dress better; but how many of them encourage me to do it for myself?  As much as women have progressed recently, the sad thing is that in the society we live in, we are still seen as objects who should look pretty for the sake of other people. This may be changing in other places, but it is very much the case in Nairobi. What women wear and how they look are constantly being judged and criticised and held to ridiculous standards that we aren't allowed to dictate ourselves. I remember hearing the tale of a woman who got married and was made to shower, dress up in Indian traditional clothes and make-up EVERY single morning by the time she was at the breakfast table; whereas her in-laws did not adhere to these standards.  Unfortunately, many of us are at...