Skip to main content

Mediterraneo: Restaurant Review

Mediterraneo Westlands (picture courtesy of their website) 
Last Saturday night found me at Mediterraneo, 9 West, with my family, celebrating my eldest sister's latest promotion (woop!), and I decided that this would be perfect opportunity for a post! My recent ones have been more serious, and I think it's time to take a bit of a break.

The ambiance at their new location is pretty modern, and there's some outdoor seating on the terrace. We were tucked away in a little nook, and while it did get a little warm, this was ideal for conversational purposes.

For wine, we decided to order a bottle for the table, and I decided to try a Chardonnay I'd never had before. We ordered the Apaltagua Gran Verano Chardonnay. The vintage was 2014, and it was a screw cap. Yes, for the ambiance a corked wine might have fitted better, but this was still great! It was unoaked and fairly fruity, with flavours of peach and pineapple coming through. It also went perfectly with what I ordered as a main meal.


This is the point I apologise for my ignorance; I forgot to take a copy of the menu, and most of the dishes' names were in Italian, so I may have a hard time remembering what exactly was what. I ordered some type of pasta with an abundance of porcini mushrooms. The dish was more than just that, and hopefully I'll fix this entry later! It was absolutely delicious. The quantity was perfect, the parmesan was plentiful (always a bonus), and the food was served at a perfect temperature. 


My dad ordered pork chops, my mum chicken breasts in a white wine and mushroom sauce, and my grandad's brother had lasagna. My sister  tried a little bit from all of us, but since she had just returned from a late, heavy lunch (you know how weekend lunches are in Nairobi), she didn't get a main meal of her own.

The restaurant had a wide variety of wines and desserts, which I think is always a good sign. For dessert, I had their homemade strawberry ice cream, as did my grandad's brother. My sister had the vanilla, my mum had a sizzling chocolate brownie with Jamaican rum, and my dad had the yogurt ice-cream with mango coulis.

Strawberry icecream

Vanilla icecream

Sizzling brownie

Yogurt icecream with mango coulis

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but I think I'd be happy returning here just for the dessert (and wine)! The service was great too; our server did everything right, including giving me the wine to taste before he poured. The manager came to check in on us, which was highly appreciated. So, would I recommend Mediterraneo to you? Highly so!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winding Down: A Family Vacation

First of all, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone! Apologies for silence this month; but also, THANK YOU! Thank you to all of you for being such a great audience this year. My readership in 2015 has been the highest ever- especially so in December, which is crazy because I've only published one post this month so far! So thank you, for reading, and keeping up with the Kenyan Nomad, and all the wonderful feedback you've given me this year. As we count down to my favourite holiday of the year, I wanted to share some snippets from my recent family vacation. My parents and I headed to the Rift Valley from the 20th to the 24th, and I decided to completely unplug! My phone was on airplane mode most of the time, I absolutely didn't check my messages, emails or Facebook at all, and I got to spend some time actually reading! I didn't manage to fit in as much as I would've liked, but I did read 'The Pilgrimage' by Paulo Coelho and 'Social Intelligence'...

The meaning of the Sikh wedding

The Sikh Wedding Ceremony In any function or ceremony being held at the Gurudwara or the Sikh Temple, the Sadh Sangat (people attending the function or ceremony) are required to cover their heads with a turban or piece of cloth, and remove their shoes before entering the inner premises of the Gurudwara, especially where the holy book or the Sri Guru Granth Sahib is kept. This is a sign of respect for the Lord�s house (home) just as in the Sikh culture, one will respect an elder of the family or community. This respect is a traditional way of showing one�s feelings for the elder one, and the Lord (Waheguru) is the supreme elder. Also, in the Sikh culture, people of any religion or following are freely allowed to enter the Lord�s house and be part of the Sadh Sangat. This is because the Sikhs believe that there is only one true God anywhere in the world, and it should only be that one God to worship. That is why one can see people of all religions or beliefs are able to come freely to th...

Meet Jean Wandimi

Those of you who're active in the food and wine culture around Nairobi have most probably heard of Jean Wandimi, blogger at  www.thewineandfoodreview.com  Being a lover of wine and food myself, I asked if I could interview her. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Jean Wandimi! Tell us a little bit about yourself and your background. I'm a finance graduate who happened to fall in love with food and wine. I started journalling my experiences in a blog for fun. After some time, I got serious with the blog and have been doing it for 2 years. What made you get interested in wine? I have always loved wine but I didn't get to try it earlier. I was curious. I find it fascinating how a bottle can have so much history. When I got to campus, I started teaching myself how to pronounce the wines, grape varieties, tastings etc When and why did you decide to start blogging? I opted to start an online journal of my experiences in November 2013. I could have easily written them in a book but I wante...