Skip to main content

Change Begins



Why do I return to the topic of change so often? Because stagnancy scares me. It bores me, it infuriates me, I absolutely hate it. I'm not the person I was 5 years ago, and 5 years from now, I'm sure there'll be many more changes in my life. These changes can be and have been both internal and external, but mainly focused on myself.

Recently though, I've been thinking about the need to create change in the society I live in, for a couple of reasons; one being that most of our society is still stuck in the past as far as certain things go, like attitudes toward women and sexuality. The other reason is that when I look at the people around me, I recognise attitudes that I either had in the past, or would be terrified to be stuck with now, and that drives me to action. This reminds me of a book I'd read a few years ago, called "The Gift of Peace" which I won for some academic achievement in high school. One of the things this book talked about was that things that bother us about other people are actually due to us recognising the attitudes within ourselves. This resonated with me, and I think it's very true. Those who know me best know that I have a certain degree of dogmatism; and I absolutely hate it! True enough, one of the qualities that angers me the most in other people is their dogmatism, but especially with regard to traditions and practices that have no part to play in today's world and yet persist like a nasty cold. 

I've definitely been feeling the frustration of dealing with societal dogmatism; it's always easier to deal with in individuals, but trying to advance the way a society thinks and operates seems like an uphill battle. I'm sure we've all had times where we're frustrated with the lack of changes around us, and have absolutely no idea how to proceed. I vented these frustrations out to a good friend, and the message he sent me was so perfect that I had to share it with all of you. I'll let him do the rest of the talking: 

I believe that to incite change you must first do what others will not, and that is to live day and night with that which you desire etched in your mind. An intaglio. When people press up against you, that thing is impressed upon them. People are right in the sense that no one does that effectively on their own, but that is not what you should be trying to do. Speak your mind when the need arises. Call out those that need to be called out, but remember too that often a gentle word or the right analogy will move a mountain. Fire, earth, water, wind - in different ways all have the energy to change the landscape that we walk, and all of them are us. Choose the property that counters that ignorance and be it. That is your right, just as it is your right to challenge those who would claim you are anything less than you are, for any reason. Be what you are, and others of like mind will find you, and then you are not alone. But, above all, meet people where they are and do not fault them for it. Even if their position wounds us deeply who are we to judge? We do not know the things which have brought them to this place, and if we want to be the thing that leads them from it we do not have the luxury of assumption. 

-Dylan Orlady

PS: Dylan also happens to be an awesome photographer; check out his work here! Dylan Orlady Instagram

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winding Down: A Family Vacation

First of all, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone! Apologies for silence this month; but also, THANK YOU! Thank you to all of you for being such a great audience this year. My readership in 2015 has been the highest ever- especially so in December, which is crazy because I've only published one post this month so far! So thank you, for reading, and keeping up with the Kenyan Nomad, and all the wonderful feedback you've given me this year. As we count down to my favourite holiday of the year, I wanted to share some snippets from my recent family vacation. My parents and I headed to the Rift Valley from the 20th to the 24th, and I decided to completely unplug! My phone was on airplane mode most of the time, I absolutely didn't check my messages, emails or Facebook at all, and I got to spend some time actually reading! I didn't manage to fit in as much as I would've liked, but I did read 'The Pilgrimage' by Paulo Coelho and 'Social Intelligence'...

Meet Jean Wandimi

Those of you who're active in the food and wine culture around Nairobi have most probably heard of Jean Wandimi, blogger at  www.thewineandfoodreview.com  Being a lover of wine and food myself, I asked if I could interview her. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Jean Wandimi! Tell us a little bit about yourself and your background. I'm a finance graduate who happened to fall in love with food and wine. I started journalling my experiences in a blog for fun. After some time, I got serious with the blog and have been doing it for 2 years. What made you get interested in wine? I have always loved wine but I didn't get to try it earlier. I was curious. I find it fascinating how a bottle can have so much history. When I got to campus, I started teaching myself how to pronounce the wines, grape varieties, tastings etc When and why did you decide to start blogging? I opted to start an online journal of my experiences in November 2013. I could have easily written them in a book but I wante...

The meaning of the Sikh wedding

The Sikh Wedding Ceremony In any function or ceremony being held at the Gurudwara or the Sikh Temple, the Sadh Sangat (people attending the function or ceremony) are required to cover their heads with a turban or piece of cloth, and remove their shoes before entering the inner premises of the Gurudwara, especially where the holy book or the Sri Guru Granth Sahib is kept. This is a sign of respect for the Lord�s house (home) just as in the Sikh culture, one will respect an elder of the family or community. This respect is a traditional way of showing one�s feelings for the elder one, and the Lord (Waheguru) is the supreme elder. Also, in the Sikh culture, people of any religion or following are freely allowed to enter the Lord�s house and be part of the Sadh Sangat. This is because the Sikhs believe that there is only one true God anywhere in the world, and it should only be that one God to worship. That is why one can see people of all religions or beliefs are able to come freely to th...