Skip to main content

The REAL Difference Between Fashion and Personal Style Bloggers


Another post by my guest blogger from the HCBN network, Ak Brown. 

I hope you guys are familiar with one of my last posts on "Why Everyone Can't Be a Fashion Blogger".  If you do you might have noticed a comment from a great blogger I know, saying something along the lines of how fashion bloggers and style bloggers are very much different.  I do agree that fashion bloggers and style bloggers are different in a way, but to be honest, the real difference between a great fashion blogger and a great personal style blogger is absolutely nothing.  Yep I said it, stop looking at the screen like I said something dumb or confusing.  The real difference between a great fashion blogger and a great personal style blogger is nothing.  Here's why;

Going back a bit to my last post, it surfaced around how a lot of these girls believe that if they post some cute pics here and there that they're instantly a fashion blogger, and a lot of my readers think that if that doesn't make them a fashion blogger, then that makes them a personal style blogger, and that's also very much wrong.  Even though fashion blogging and personal style blogging are in two different niches, they still serve a purpose of providing quality content that will engage the reader, spark interest, get a conversation going, and sometimes go out of the box when it comes to topics that are being discussed.  Just because you are a personal style blogger doesn't mean that your reader base doesn't expect quality content from you.  I don't care to just look at pretty pictures of the same type of outfits.  We all know the typical Instagram blogger outfit, a signature Chanel chain bag, blazer, and pointed toe heels, sunglasses glued to the face and walking down the street as if she didn't have a goddamn care in the world.  That is not blogging!  I would prefer much more style tips on how to dress for different occasions, celebrity looks for less, where to find staple pieces, makeover stories, etc.  Just because your niche is to showcase unique ensembles, that doesn't mean quality content shouldn't follow behind it.

More importantly, a lot of bloggers are both fashion and personal style bloggers, we are indeed.  We like to not only give our opinions on controversial topics going on in the fashion industry but we also try and give some tips and outfit inspirations here and there.  In my opinion, I think we are all fashion bloggers, and then there are the sub categories where personal style comes into play where some people love to focus heavily on that.  Nothing wrong with that by any means, but once again, just don't think that putting up a few generic outfit pics make you a blogger.  It's more work put into it.

Instagram: www.instagram.com/mindofafashionista

Ak Brown: Creator and Head Fashion Blogger
Mind of a Fashionista


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winding Down: A Family Vacation

First of all, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone! Apologies for silence this month; but also, THANK YOU! Thank you to all of you for being such a great audience this year. My readership in 2015 has been the highest ever- especially so in December, which is crazy because I've only published one post this month so far! So thank you, for reading, and keeping up with the Kenyan Nomad, and all the wonderful feedback you've given me this year. As we count down to my favourite holiday of the year, I wanted to share some snippets from my recent family vacation. My parents and I headed to the Rift Valley from the 20th to the 24th, and I decided to completely unplug! My phone was on airplane mode most of the time, I absolutely didn't check my messages, emails or Facebook at all, and I got to spend some time actually reading! I didn't manage to fit in as much as I would've liked, but I did read 'The Pilgrimage' by Paulo Coelho and 'Social Intelligence'...

Fashion, Food and Furniture: A Night with Panesar Kenya

Pic by Catherine Muchira  Now, part of being a nomad does involve socialising, although this probably hasn't been all too evident in my recent posts! The evening of Thursday, the 5th of November found me attending an invite-only event entitled 'Fashion, Food & Furniture' at the Rouge Deck , hosted by Panesar Interiors . I was allowed a plus one, and decided to make my best friend tag along with me. I must admit, when I first received the invite, I was a little curious to see how the 3 themes were meant to fit together, but everything flowed seamlessly on the day of the event! I must admit, I was quite impressed. The Fashion Pic by Official Photographer The clothes on display were designed and created by Njema Helena , a company that was formed by a mother and daughters team in honour of their late daughter and sister, who passed away from cancer a few years ago. The designs were absolutely beautiful, and I loved the modern take on traditional African prints. There were ...

Me First

As a woman who lives in an urban society in the 21st century, I am constantly being bombarded by messages from media and advertising and even the people around me. Many of these messages encourage me to look better, be healthier, dress better; but how many of them encourage me to do it for myself?  As much as women have progressed recently, the sad thing is that in the society we live in, we are still seen as objects who should look pretty for the sake of other people. This may be changing in other places, but it is very much the case in Nairobi. What women wear and how they look are constantly being judged and criticised and held to ridiculous standards that we aren't allowed to dictate ourselves. I remember hearing the tale of a woman who got married and was made to shower, dress up in Indian traditional clothes and make-up EVERY single morning by the time she was at the breakfast table; whereas her in-laws did not adhere to these standards.  Unfortunately, many of us are at...