Skip to main content

Meet Jean Wandimi


Those of you who're active in the food and wine culture around Nairobi have most probably heard of Jean Wandimi, blogger at www.thewineandfoodreview.com Being a lover of wine and food myself, I asked if I could interview her. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Jean Wandimi!

Tell us a little bit about yourself and your background.

I'm a finance graduate who happened to fall in love with food and wine. I started journalling my experiences in a blog for fun. After some time, I got serious with the blog and have been doing it for 2 years.

What made you get interested in wine?
I have always loved wine but I didn't get to try it earlier. I was curious. I find it fascinating how a bottle can have so much history. When I got to campus, I started teaching myself how to pronounce the wines, grape varieties, tastings etc

When and why did you decide to start blogging?
I opted to start an online journal of my experiences in November 2013. I could have easily written them in a book but I wanted people to read them because majority of Kenyans knew as much about wine as they knew about rocket science. 
 
Did you ever imagine that your blog would amass such a following? 
I actually smiled when I got my first blog comments & emails. After some time, people started asking me for advice and inviting me to their events. I didn't portend such a reaction.

What is Kenya's wine and food culture like? 
The food & wine culture has grown immensely.There are so many events and restaurants popping up and most have wine lists that get updated from time to time. Wine is readily available and people are now free to try different things. However, the growth has not been exponential but we are making progress.

What scope is there for aspiring food and/or wine bloggers in Kenya?
I think that one cannot become a food and wine writer with the mentality (and expectation) of making a living from it. Kenya is different from other countries. You must love what you do. There are a few opportunities.

What are your 5 favorite wines?
Moet & Chandon Imperial Brut
Dom Perrignon
Barton & Gustier (B&G) Beaujolais Villages 2010
Fantnel prosecco
Veuve Cliquot (Champagne)

If you had to describe yourself as a type of wine, which would it be and why?
It has to be a Pinot Noir. Elegant & Sexy!
( Laughs)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winding Down: A Family Vacation

First of all, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone! Apologies for silence this month; but also, THANK YOU! Thank you to all of you for being such a great audience this year. My readership in 2015 has been the highest ever- especially so in December, which is crazy because I've only published one post this month so far! So thank you, for reading, and keeping up with the Kenyan Nomad, and all the wonderful feedback you've given me this year. As we count down to my favourite holiday of the year, I wanted to share some snippets from my recent family vacation. My parents and I headed to the Rift Valley from the 20th to the 24th, and I decided to completely unplug! My phone was on airplane mode most of the time, I absolutely didn't check my messages, emails or Facebook at all, and I got to spend some time actually reading! I didn't manage to fit in as much as I would've liked, but I did read 'The Pilgrimage' by Paulo Coelho and 'Social Intelligence'...

The meaning of the Sikh wedding

The Sikh Wedding Ceremony In any function or ceremony being held at the Gurudwara or the Sikh Temple, the Sadh Sangat (people attending the function or ceremony) are required to cover their heads with a turban or piece of cloth, and remove their shoes before entering the inner premises of the Gurudwara, especially where the holy book or the Sri Guru Granth Sahib is kept. This is a sign of respect for the Lord�s house (home) just as in the Sikh culture, one will respect an elder of the family or community. This respect is a traditional way of showing one�s feelings for the elder one, and the Lord (Waheguru) is the supreme elder. Also, in the Sikh culture, people of any religion or following are freely allowed to enter the Lord�s house and be part of the Sadh Sangat. This is because the Sikhs believe that there is only one true God anywhere in the world, and it should only be that one God to worship. That is why one can see people of all religions or beliefs are able to come freely to th...