Skip to main content

Meet Jean Wandimi


Those of you who're active in the food and wine culture around Nairobi have most probably heard of Jean Wandimi, blogger at www.thewineandfoodreview.com Being a lover of wine and food myself, I asked if I could interview her. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Jean Wandimi!

Tell us a little bit about yourself and your background.

I'm a finance graduate who happened to fall in love with food and wine. I started journalling my experiences in a blog for fun. After some time, I got serious with the blog and have been doing it for 2 years.

What made you get interested in wine?
I have always loved wine but I didn't get to try it earlier. I was curious. I find it fascinating how a bottle can have so much history. When I got to campus, I started teaching myself how to pronounce the wines, grape varieties, tastings etc

When and why did you decide to start blogging?
I opted to start an online journal of my experiences in November 2013. I could have easily written them in a book but I wanted people to read them because majority of Kenyans knew as much about wine as they knew about rocket science. 
 
Did you ever imagine that your blog would amass such a following? 
I actually smiled when I got my first blog comments & emails. After some time, people started asking me for advice and inviting me to their events. I didn't portend such a reaction.

What is Kenya's wine and food culture like? 
The food & wine culture has grown immensely.There are so many events and restaurants popping up and most have wine lists that get updated from time to time. Wine is readily available and people are now free to try different things. However, the growth has not been exponential but we are making progress.

What scope is there for aspiring food and/or wine bloggers in Kenya?
I think that one cannot become a food and wine writer with the mentality (and expectation) of making a living from it. Kenya is different from other countries. You must love what you do. There are a few opportunities.

What are your 5 favorite wines?
Moet & Chandon Imperial Brut
Dom Perrignon
Barton & Gustier (B&G) Beaujolais Villages 2010
Fantnel prosecco
Veuve Cliquot (Champagne)

If you had to describe yourself as a type of wine, which would it be and why?
It has to be a Pinot Noir. Elegant & Sexy!
( Laughs)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five years of The Kenyan Nomad: Looking back

How time does fly! I can't believe that my little blog is five - what a journey it has been! I thought it would be fun to look back on a few posts I've done over the years. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My first post  was an attempt to restart a blog that I had started writing four years ago - back then, it was more of an extended, and public mailing list. This was a week after I turned 20, and I think the 'new decade' brought me some inspiration to write that I'm still going on! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A few months later, I shared some pictures from a trip to the Masai Mara. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- During the spring semester that year, I did a few posts from a series I had posted

Restaurant Review: Christmas at the Arbor

Happy holidays, everyone! As I write this, I'm sitting in the U.S., having travelled here to spend time with family (and see friends if I get lucky). Saturday the 17th of December, however, found me in a food coma after a delicious Christmas meal with Darshani (of Cupcakes to Curry) at the Arbor in Lavington, Nairobi. The Arbor has a very laid-back, chic outdoor ambiance, well-suited to Saturday brunch or a dinner out with friends. Darshani and I were there to do a review for a podcast, and thus ended up having a multi-course meal at 10 am on a Saturday morning (accompanied by various cocktails, of course, much to the envy of the other diners)! The weather was perfect December weather - warm and sunny, forbidding any sort of indoor seating at all. For my non-Southern hemisphere readers, you'll just have to visit Kenya to know what I mean when I say 'perfect December weather' and 'warm' in the same sentence. It was started about two years ago by Shamini, original

The Mayura: Restaurant Review

Happy new year, everyone! It's been a while, so I thought to break tradition and post on a Tuesday this time - I'm sure you're in need of new restaurant recommendations, right? Located in Kenrail towers, the Mayura  is an Indian restaurant that you may not have been to yet. I'd heard about it, but never been, so when I was invited to do a review, I naturally jumped at the chance. Located in Kenrail Towers, the ambience of the Mayura has peacock-themed, warm interiors. There's a lot of space to sit down, both inside and outside. The restaurant is the brainchild of Rajiv Segal, who has a corporate background and being from Delhi, had a high standard of quality and had developed a distinctive palate, which he wanted to bring to the people in Nairobi. The menu was chosen for us by Rajiv (and boy, did we eat a lot!). For starters, we had some paneer tikka, mutton chops, fish amritsari and banu kebab (chicken). The paneer tikka was absolutely amazing! The paneer was fresh