Skip to main content

Garissa Attacks: Are We One?




Kenyan people are easily roused by trying times. This Easter was a sombre one for Kenyans as news trickled in of a terrorist attack at Garissa University College. The official death toll stands at 147, though this figure does in no way account for the psychological trauma that survivors and responders suffered, and will continue to deal with for some time to come.

You will recall that there was a similar situation about a year and a half ago, at the Westgate mall in Nairobi. There was outcry and outpouring of sympathy for those involved, and the Kenyan people seemed to miraculously come together as one, united against 'evil'.

Having faced a second such attack after less than two years however, is it not important to ask whether or not we are united as Kenyans? Justice may be our shield and defender, but it seems that our definitions of justice vary. Many a time, intentions may be pure but the way justice is carried out leaves us wondering. For example, recently, a top government executive called for rejected recruits to immediately report for duty. Sure, this does address the appalling lack of security personnel in the country... but does it address the lack of honest security personnel at all? One wonders how many of the rejected recruits will fall prey to the Kenyan disease of corruption and become like those Kenyan officers who took advantage of the already dire situation during the Westgate tragedy to loot the stores in the mall.

'We Are One' should not be a cry that we utter only in times of obvious need, such as during external attacks. I'd like to see a Kenya where we proudly proclaim 'We Are One' everyday, and stand united against problems that affect us internally too; such as corruption, petty crime, hunger, and such abject poverty that we should all be ashamed. Where is that united Kenyan spirit during other times? We see divisions of mzungus vs. muhindis vs. mwafrikas, and further division within these groups themselves. We talk about a united front, but often see people looking out only for themselves (and their pockets).

Development is a slow, tedious and multifaceted process. It often seems like one person may not be able to achieve much, but it is through the efforts of individuals that Kenya will slowly move forward economically, socially and politically. Education has a large part to play in this; as does courage. It'll take a generation of educated, focused and dedicated people to kickstart the processes that will catapult our nation to a stage where we can confidently and honestly say that 'We Are One' on all frontiers.

Thankfully, this is already happening. Slowly, but it is. Until then, yes, we do stand together. Maybe not all the time, not everywhere, not all of us. But we are Kenyan, and We Are One.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winding Down: A Family Vacation

First of all, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone! Apologies for silence this month; but also, THANK YOU! Thank you to all of you for being such a great audience this year. My readership in 2015 has been the highest ever- especially so in December, which is crazy because I've only published one post this month so far! So thank you, for reading, and keeping up with the Kenyan Nomad, and all the wonderful feedback you've given me this year. As we count down to my favourite holiday of the year, I wanted to share some snippets from my recent family vacation. My parents and I headed to the Rift Valley from the 20th to the 24th, and I decided to completely unplug! My phone was on airplane mode most of the time, I absolutely didn't check my messages, emails or Facebook at all, and I got to spend some time actually reading! I didn't manage to fit in as much as I would've liked, but I did read 'The Pilgrimage' by Paulo Coelho and 'Social Intelligence'...

Meet Jean Wandimi

Those of you who're active in the food and wine culture around Nairobi have most probably heard of Jean Wandimi, blogger at  www.thewineandfoodreview.com  Being a lover of wine and food myself, I asked if I could interview her. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Jean Wandimi! Tell us a little bit about yourself and your background. I'm a finance graduate who happened to fall in love with food and wine. I started journalling my experiences in a blog for fun. After some time, I got serious with the blog and have been doing it for 2 years. What made you get interested in wine? I have always loved wine but I didn't get to try it earlier. I was curious. I find it fascinating how a bottle can have so much history. When I got to campus, I started teaching myself how to pronounce the wines, grape varieties, tastings etc When and why did you decide to start blogging? I opted to start an online journal of my experiences in November 2013. I could have easily written them in a book but I wante...

The meaning of the Sikh wedding

The Sikh Wedding Ceremony In any function or ceremony being held at the Gurudwara or the Sikh Temple, the Sadh Sangat (people attending the function or ceremony) are required to cover their heads with a turban or piece of cloth, and remove their shoes before entering the inner premises of the Gurudwara, especially where the holy book or the Sri Guru Granth Sahib is kept. This is a sign of respect for the Lord�s house (home) just as in the Sikh culture, one will respect an elder of the family or community. This respect is a traditional way of showing one�s feelings for the elder one, and the Lord (Waheguru) is the supreme elder. Also, in the Sikh culture, people of any religion or following are freely allowed to enter the Lord�s house and be part of the Sadh Sangat. This is because the Sikhs believe that there is only one true God anywhere in the world, and it should only be that one God to worship. That is why one can see people of all religions or beliefs are able to come freely to th...